Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Movie Review: I’m Not There

*** MIGTH CONTAIN SPOILERS! ***

Featuring: Cate Blanchett, Ben Whishaw, Christian Bale, Richard Gere, Marcus Carl Franklin, Heath Ledger, Kris Kristofferson, Julianne Moore, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Michelle Williams

Genre: biography, music

Plot: bits and pieces of Bob Dylan’s life and ideas put on music

Acting: no complaints there

Drama: a story as old as time, the artist who can’t adapt to the real world

Action: it’s not about that

Funny: again it’s not about that

Visuals: good, except for Heath Ledger’s full frontal which was just creepy and uncalled for

Soundtrack: loved it, got me interested in Dylan’s music

Official website: http://www.imnotthere-movie.com/

Comments: It made me wish I had known more about Dylan’s life. I’m not a fan and I don’t own any of his albums though that might change soon, but of course I knew who he is and had vague ideas about his career. This being said I’m pretty sure I missed some things in the movie that his fans would probably immediately recognize. It’s not exactly your usual biographic movie, it’s more like an allegory, with various actors playing the same part and doing it very well all of them in their own way. It’s not easy to explain or describe, but it’s an experience it would be a shame to miss.

Rating: 4/5

No comments: