Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Movie Review: Mamma Mia!

*** MIGTH CONTAIN SPOILERS! ***

Featuring: Amanda Seyfried, Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Stellan Skarsgård, Colin Firth, Julie Walters, Christine Baranski

Genre: musical, comedy

Plot: Young girl invites three possible fathers to her wedding.

Official website: http://www.mammamiamovie.com/

Comments: As much of a musical fan that I am I was only vaguely aware of Mamma Mia’s existence and I had no idea what to expect. I can’t say I was disappointed. It’s cheesy, but it’s also lots of fun and you can’t go wrong with ABBA’s songs. Low points were the fact that Amanda Seyfried was supposed to be 20 and she looks like 16, and the discovery that Pierce Brosnan can’t sing but we’ll forgive him because he has great chemistry with Meryl Streep. I already knew that Colin Firth has a pleasant voice from The Importance of Being Called Earnest, and I was impressed with Christine Baranski’s voice. Julie Walters stole the show in each scene she was in.

Rating: 8/10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is one of the few plays i've actually seen, which ended up being great... it's funny to think of ol' Pierce taking a stab at singing though, yeeesh