Thursday, October 31, 2013

2013 October Reading List

Untold by Sarah Rees Brennan – This was better than the first book in the series, but I wouldn’t have bothered if it hadn’t been for Ms. Brennan’s humor. It cracks me up every time. 3/5 stars 

The Litigators by John Grisham – It was a nice change to read 3rd person POV omniscient and find POV changes in the middle of the scene. 3/5 stars 

Lexicon by Max Barry – Great idea, but so much more could have been done with it. The characters remained distant and unsympathetic, and I felt like I was cheated of an entire scene at the end.  4/5 stars

The Martian by Andy Weir – I didn’t think there was anything relevant left to write about Mars after Kim Stanley Robinson’s Mars trilogy, but Weir proved me wrong. I fucking loved this book. I know, I know, I’m such a geek.   4/5 stars 

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson – I didn’t finish this one. It turns out Sanderson’s YA novels are not for me. Sure, I should have learned my lesson after The Rithmatist but… So Mr. Sanderson, please go back to writing adult stuff. It’s been proven that all teens turn into adults eventually so there’s plenty of time to get them hooked on your books.

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich – After the disappointment brought by Steelheart, I needed something silly to cheer me up. I might have enjoyed this one more when it was first released as in twenty years ago. The way it was it gave me a few chuckles, but I surely have seen/read better humor. 2/5 stars 


No comments: