Sunday, September 30, 2012

2012 September Reading List



Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan – The first half of the book is full of giggles, the second half contains too much melodrama for my taste. The bad part is that all those giggles distract from the plot. And I didn't care for the ending, although I understand the reasons behind it. 3/5 stars

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout – Much, much better than Obsidian. At least the main love interest wasn't jerk all through it and a lot of things started to make sense. The ending was bitter sweet. 3/5 stars

Farsighted by Emlyn Chand – I gave up after reading a third and it's a rather short book. It's difficult to include visions in the plot when your main character is blind and the way it was done just didn't work for me. I also didn't care for the parental relationship and when the mystical stuff took center stage I decided I'd had enough. 2/5 stars

Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout – I had no interest in reading this one after finishing Obsidian, but the ending of Onyx made me change my mind. It was rather cute, but dunno if I had the patience for it if it were a full book instead of a novella. 3/5 stars

Hunter's Run by George R. R. Martin, Gardner Dozois, Daniel Abraham – I didn't like it. I kept hoping for something extraordinary, but it never happened. I prefer to read about intelligent, victorious people rather than uneducated brutes like that. 3/5 stars

Warriors (vol. 2) by Gardner Dozois and George R. R. Martin – I'm obviously not the target audience for this type of books. I liked Robert Silverberg's story the best, although it wasn't great, but then again I've always had a soft spot for Silverberg's prose. The one set in Romania annoyed me to no end as they usually tend to do. The dog story made me want to cry. :( 3/5 stars 

Snail on the Slope by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky – I used to like the Strugatsky brothers' prose, but this time I found it hard to get into it. It's true I haven't read anything by them in a long time. I think I started reading it 3 or 4 times over the summer. Once I decided to finish it and really got into the story, the ideas were hallucinating good. 4/5 stars

No comments: