Saturday, May 31, 2014

2014 May Reading List

CPSF15 – A bit in two minds about the first two stories, but Abercrombie’s was good even if a little pointless. 4/5 stars Nemira

CPSF16 – I wish the magazine included more translations of recent stories, like Gregory Benford’s, and lay off on the 80s stuff. 4/5 stars Nemira

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence – Clearly a debut novel with the expected flaws. The age of the hero bothered me the most, along with the final reveal and confrontation. All the secondary characters were just cardboard sketches, except for the captain who frankly was more interesting than the MC. 4/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith – A decent crime novel, though I cared only about the detective and his secretary and none of the other characters.  4/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

Best of Mystery & Horror #1 edited by Mircea Pricajan – Not bad considering that I’m not really into horror. It includes one of my short stories so I'm not going to rate it. Herg Benet

The Door into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein – Every spring I make  sure to read a Heinlein book, it sort of turned into a habit. I loved the title and its significance, and of course all the rambling about the cat. The book was pretty good too, though not one of his best.  4/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

No comments: