Sunday, May 31, 2015

2015 May Reading List

Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman – An entertaining ride for both kids and adults. 4/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

Be My Love by Lucy Kevin – Because I hadn’t read anything by Bella Andre and I was curious. I’m obviously not the target audience here, but even so, it was pretty terrible. 2/5 stars Amazon 

The Telepath Chronicles edited by David Gatewood – Better writing than in The Robot Chronicles, too bad most of the stories felt unfinished and the ending ruined them more often than not. 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

The A.I. Chronicles edited by Ellen Campbell – I found this one rather cold. The telepath book worked better as a whole. 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

Robot Uprising edited by Daniel H. Wilson and John Joseph Adams – Now this was one well-written anthology all around. A couple of amazingly written stories, even if their basic concept wasn’t mind blowing, and the rest were all good stories. My only complaint would be that there was a little too much horror for my taste. 4/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

I, Robot: To Protect by Mickey Zucker Reichert – I found the writing bland, and it reads more like a medical soap than sci fi and it has little to do with robots. However, as someone who watched the first three seasons of House at least five times, I found the science part fascinating. 4/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins – I don’t care for weak characters and I have zero tolerance for drunks so this book wasn’t for me. This being said, the big reveal came in too late when I was already fed up with the MC’s whining and I didn’t see the point of Megan’s POV since she spent most part of the book being dead. 3/4 stars Amazon Bookdepository 

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo – The story dragged, the MC was an idiot, there was little dialogue and especially none where there should have been, the Russian names in the absence of a Russian atmosphere only managed to be distracting, and the beginning and end of the book using a different person POV didn’t help at all. 2/5 stars. Amazon Bookdepository

Ironskin by Tina Connolly – A mixture of Jane Austen, Jane Eyre, and Rebecca. I rather liked it, except the end became overly melodramatic and gory. 3/5 stars. Amazon Bookdepository

Seriously Wicked by Tina Connolly – For teens, but fun if you don’t mind the whole high school drama. 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

White Cat by Holly Black – Nice to deal with a boy’s POV for a change even if he didn’t always sound like a boy. The ending made me jump right to the end of the third book in the series to see how it ended, which left me in no hurry to read the rest. I was barely past the middle of the first book when I thought this was the only fitting ending for the MC, so glad he got it. 3/5 stars  Amazon Bookdepository

No comments: