Tuesday, March 31, 2015

2015 March Reading List

Half the World by Joe Abercrombie – I went back and read my thoughts on the first book in the series, and it looks like Abercrombie fixed everything that was “wrong” and got it right this time around. There are some great scenes in there—a good read as a whole. My only complaint is we didn’t get Yarvi’s POV, and I was looking forward to that. 4/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

The Perils of Pleasure by Julie Anne Long – Not as enjoyable as the other two books I’ve read from this series. 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

Glitch by Hugh Howey – Well written but it felt like it was only the beginning of the story and the most interesting part was missing. Plus, I kept getting flashbacks of Real Steel. 3/5 stars Amazon

The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead – After reading the first three books in the Bloodlines series and coming to a conclusion that wrapped things nicely for me, I decided to wait until all the other three books in the series were out before reading them. Now that I did read them all three in a row, I don’t remember what the first book was about. What I do remember is that despite Adrian being my favorite character from both Bloodlines and Vampire Academy series, I didn’t care for his POV at all. 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

Silver Shadows by Richelle Mead – I have issues with scenarios in which the characters are locked up and brainwashed, so it was difficult for me to enjoy this book. Plus, towards the end, the plot gets really crazy. 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

The Ruby Circle by Richelle Mead – By now, the big exposition chucks, especially the ones retelling events from the past, became too much so I skipped a lot. It all ended wrapped in a bow and highly unlikely. I enjoyed the first three books in the series better, but as a whole, VA is better written and makes more sense even though Rose used to drive me nuts. 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

The Robot Chronicles edited by David Gatewood – I only truly enjoyed 4 out of 14 stories. Several felt unfinished. And why can’t there be any happy robot stories? 3/5 stars Amazon

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell by Brandon Sanderson – An unfortunate title that only makes sense after you read the story. I felt a bit let down by the ending, but it was a good read. 4/5 stars Amazon

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine – I didn’t care for the bullying, all characters behaved irrationally at one point or another, and the romance was awkward, but I did get caught up by the action in the story. 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz – Sex and the City without the humor and utterly boring. 2/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

Castle in the Sky by Dianna Wynne Jones – Howl’s Moving Castle remains my favorite, but this was fun too. 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

Like No Other Lover by Julie Anne Long – It would have been more interesting if the heroes would have spent less time apart. 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

Since the Surrender by Julie Anne Long – This was slightly better, though it puzzles me someone as rich as the Everseas kept allowing commoners to marry into their family. 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

I Kissed an Earl by Julie Anne Long – Highly improbable for anything like this to happen, not one of my favorite despite having a plot for a change, though the banter was fun. 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

How the Marquess Was Won by Julie Anne Long – Love me a smart woman any day, a bit of a Cinderella tale, and a rather predictable plot. Loved the cat! 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

A Notorious Countess Confesses by Julie Anne Long – A bit of a hit and miss this one and the vicar left me cold, though it was probably expected. 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

It Happened One Midnight by Julie Anne Long – While portrayed rather silly, with a few exceptions, in the previous books, Jonathan is my favorite character in the series. *grins* 3/5 stars Amazon Bookdepository

This was an atypical month for me, but I'm in the middle of writing book 2 in Broken People series, and when I do that, I find it hard to focus on any "heavy" reading so I'm stuck with romance and YA. Shrug.

No comments: