Sunday, March 31, 2013

2013 March Reading List

The Black Company by Glen Cook – It took me about half of the book to really get into it, and it still wasn’t my cup of tea. It read too much like a bad video game from the 90s. 3/5 stars 

The Wheel of Time 1: The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan – To summarize it all: run, hide, camp, run, sing, juggle, spend the night in an inn, fight, run… repeat again and again for all 700+ pages. Meh. 4/5 stars 

Efectul de nautil (The Nautilus Effect) by Ioana Visan – Yes, I had to read my own book over the weekend to make sure everything was in order before sending it to be printed. I was quite happy with the result if you ask me! :D 

The United States of McSweeney's (the version published by Nemira so not sure exactly what’s the English edition) – Strange. I don’t know what I was expecting but, while most of the stories are well-written, I didn’t quite care for any of them. 3/5 stars 

The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds – A bit cold and distant, but the plot was quite well done. 4/5 stars 

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare – The constant change of POV was nauseating, the avalanche of letters, quotes, and songs was annoying, and I hated the ending. Quite a frustrating book, but at least the series has ended, thank God for that! 3/5 stars 

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson – I gave up on it after reading over a quarter of the book. There’s no way of telling the characters apart, no background, only battle and scheming, and even that not done well. Pah!

I think I'm done with fantasy series for a while. I've started (as in read the first book or at least tried to) like six series since last fall, and the only one I fully enjoyed was the Mistborn. I'm ready for some sci fi now!

No comments: